Laser Stretch Mark Removal Vaughan
Laser stretch mark removal is an innovative and effective treatment for stretch marks or “striae” (dermatological definition) which are types of scars that occur on the skin. While stretch marks most often affect pregnant women, they can also appear on both female and male adolescents. Laser stretch mark removal is a beneficial method for the removal of stretch marks on many parts of the body, including stomach, hips, arms, breasts, and legs. Using powerful laser technology, even the darkest stretch marks are reduced without injuring the surrounding skin. By understanding the origin of stretch marks, you’re taking the first step to correct the annoying problem with the laser stretch mark removal method.
What Causes Stretch Marks
Stretch marks can be caused by a number of factors such as:
- Weight change
- Hormonal changes
The Human Skin:
The Human skin is an incredible organism that consists of three different layers:
- The top layer called the epidermis
- The middle layer called the dermis
- The lower layer called the subcutaneous fat
Collagen and elastin in the dermis layer gives the skin its strength, elasticity and ability to stretch. However, when certain conditions occur, such as weight gain, the skin is over-extended and after a prolonged period of time, the collagen and elastin breaks down. The breakdown results in the skin tearing, but as the tiny tears heal over time they leave scar tissue, resulting in stretch marks. The colours of stretch marks vary too, with new stretch marks leaving a reddish or purple colour while older stretch marks appear as white or silver lines.
Stretch Mark Removal Treatments
While it’s impossible to totally eradicate stretch marks, it is possible for you to have their appearance improved using Microdermabrasion and Non-Fractional Laser Resurfacing treatments using the Silhouette Tone and the Palomar Starlux 500 Laser Machine to dramatically improve the appearance of texturally damaged skin. By gently resurfacing the skin and stimulating the collagen, the appearance of stretch marks can be drastically reduced. Depending on your situation, both techniques can achieve dramatic results for improving the look of new or older scars.
Microdermabrasion is recommended for more recent stretch marks that are still reddish, purplish, or darker in colour. It is a safe and gentle way to help rejuvenate, smooth, and repair your skin. The non-fractional laser resurfacing treatment is recommended for older stretch marks that are whitish in colour. This treatment delivers a precise amount of light in order to create columns of tissue that alter damaged skin areas. This exacting light penetration helps to stimulate the cells under the stretch marks to cause the formation of new collagen. This process accelerates the formation of new healthy tissue.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are There Any Preparations Required Prior to Treatment?
- For Microdermabrasion avoid the following activities for one to three weeks prior to treatment:
- Any creams or lotions that contain a chemical exfoliate, such as Retin-A or Gyclocic Acid.
- Tanning sprays or self-tanners
- Tanning bed or lying out in the sun
- Dermatological procedures such as chemical peels or Botox injections
- Special note: On the day of procedure use a non-oily soap or a soap-free wash.
- For Non-Fractional Resurfacing, it is recommended you avoid unprotected sun exposure as much as one month before the procedure.
What are the Potential Side Effects?
- Mild swelling and redness
- This treatment can cause a flare-up of the herpes virus
- Changes in skin color. If you have darker skin, resurfacing may cause your skin to become temporarily darker.
- Rarely, this procedure can cause blistering or scarring.
How Many Treatments will I Need?
- For Non-Fractional Resurfacing, it is recommended that you have anywhere between 6 to 8 sessions. Treatments are usually spaced 4-6 weeks apart and optimal results are visible in approximately 2-3 months post-treatment
- For Microdermabrasion, it is recommended that you have approximately 3-6 treatments booked 7-14 days apart.
Does it Hurt?
The discomfort that most people experience during laser stretch mark removal treatment is minimal, but each person is different. Talk to your provider about pain management options.
What is the Recovery Time?
There is no downtime. Most people resume their regular activities immediately following treatment.
Please call or email Mederm Esthetics about our services or to schedule your FREE consultation.
We Make Beautiful Skin Happen!
Welcome to Mederm Esthetics & Laser
Your Full-service Esthetics and Laser